At 3:14 a.m. on Sunday, the Metropolis Fire Department and Massac County Emergency Medical Services were dispatched to a reported residential structure fire at 711 E. Fifth St. in Metropolis. Upon arrival, fire units contained the fire to a bedroom and bathroom. The occupant, Betty J. Bowman, 80, was pronounced deceased at the scene by the Massac County Coroner’s office.
The Illinois State Fire Marshal’s Office, in cooperation with the Metropolis Police Department and the Metropolis Fire Department are investigating.
The initial findings indicate the fire possibly originated from a cigarette in bed and was accidental in nature.
According to the Metropolis Fire Department, official results from the Office of the Illinois State Fire Marshal are expected within two to three weeks.