Born Jan. 11, 1934 in Belknap, Dr. Brown was a U.S. Army veteran. He earned his bachelor of science degree from Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, graduating in 1956. He also attended the University of Tennessee at Knoxville and earned his master of science degree in 1957. Dr. Brown received his PhD from Ohio State University at Columbus in 1964.
He began his educational career as a graduate instructor at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale in 1955 and continued as an instructor in engineering graphics at the University of Tennessee.
From 1957-1965, Dr. Brown served as the assistant professor in the engineering graphics department at Ohio State University, where he then served as assistant dean of the college of engineering from 1965-67. He served as professor and chair of the department of engineering at Trenton State College in Trenton, N.J. from 1967-76.
Dr. Brown then moved to California where he lived and worked for several years prior to his return to southern Illinois.
During his career in California, he served as a regional director for the Public Employment Relations Board, a seminar director for Dial One of Northern California, a part-time state member in the mechanical engineering department of California State University at Sacramento and was the principal owner of Bear Tavern Associates, a general contracting and home inspection company based in Sacramento.
Since his return to southern Illinois in 1993, Dr. Brown has served as a part-time instructor for Shawnee Community College.
Highlights of Dr. Brown’s professional career include the development of curriculum and obtaining approval for a four year baccalaureate program leading to a bachelor of science degree in mechanical, electrical and industrial engineering technology at Trenton State College.
He was appointed by the chancellor of Higher Education to serve on the State of New Jersey Advisory Board on Technical Education and the State Engineer Technology Master Planning Committee, serving consecutively from 1969-76.
Dr. Brown was a member of the National Education Association, the American Industrial Arts Association and the American Council on Industrial Arts Teacher Education.
He was also a member of the American Association of University Professors, Phi Delta Kappa, Epsilon Ti Tau, Iota Lambda Sigma and served for eight years as an advisor for Phi Alpha Delta, receiving the Outstanding Teaching Award from the Trenton State College chapter of that fraternity in 1976.
Dr. Brown has been listed in numerous “Who’s Who” directories including Who’s Who in California, Who’s Who in Contributions in Education and Who’s Who Leaders in International Education.
Dr. Brown was also an author and speaker. He penned numerous publications regarding industrial arts, home inspection and small business growth and development.
Dr. Brown was a member of Vienna First United Methodist Church, where he participated in the church choir.
Survivors include two sisters, Helen Stoltz and husband Ronald, of Sun City, Ariz. and Betty Ball and husband Bill of Las Vegas, Nev.; one brother, Glenn Brown and wife JoAnn of Belknap; and several nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Samuel E. Brown and Sarah Elizabeth Kean Brown.
Funeral service was held Tuesday at Bailey Funeral Home in Vienna with Pastor Don Meeks officiating. Burial followed at West Eden Cemetery near Cypress.
Memorials may be made to Vienna First United Methodist Church, P.O. Box 1349, Vienna, IL 62995; or to the American Heart Association, 2524 Farragut Dr., Suite A, Springfield, IL 629704 or donate online at www.americanheart.org