The deadline to apply for federal disaster aid for people affected by the Nov. 17 tornadoes and severe storms has been extended to Monday. The original registration deadline was Jan. 27.
The state requested the extension last week to enable people affected by tornadoes in 15 federally designated counties, including Massac, to seek grants and loans to help with their recovery.
To date, more than 2400 applications for disaster aid have been received from people in the 15 federally declared counties.
More than $2.3 million in federal grants has been awarded to help people with disaster-related expenses.
In addition, the U.S. Small Business Administration has approved $14.2 million in disaster assistance loans to help people and businesses recover.
Survivors must register to be considered for FEMA grants and SBA low-interest disaster loans to help cover eligible disaster-related expenses, including:
• Temporary housing for homeowners and renters;
• Home repairs and rebuilding;
• Repair or replacement of lost personal property, including vehicles; and
• Other serious disaster-related expenses not met by insurance or other assistance programs.
No FEMA applications can be accepted after the deadline, but FEMA will continue to approve disaster assistance for eligible survivors who applied.
Earlier this month, FEMA denied the state’s request for federal assistance that would provide reimbursement to affected local governments in nine counties for their disaster-related expenses.
The Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA) currently is working with local officials in those counties to compile additional information for an appeal.
The state has until Saturday, Feb. 8 to submit that appeal.
Individuals can register by:
• Calling the FEMA helpline at 800-621-FEMA (3362). Survivors who use TTY may call 800-462-7585;
• Going online at DisasterAssistance.gov; or
• Registering with a tablet or smartphone by downloading the FEMA app or going to m.FEMA.gov.
SBA low-interest disaster loans are a major source of federal rebuilding funds.
Homeowners, renters and businesses can apply online through SBA’s secure website at https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela. Applicants can get more information by calling SBA’s hotline at 800-659-2955 (TTY 800-877-8339) or by visiting sba.gov.