Under the new Zoning Ordinance adopted by the Metropolis City Council in November 2013, portable marque signs will be prohibited in the city after April 30.
At the close of Monday’s Metropolis City Council meeting, several aldermen said they had received complaints from business owners following an April 2 Planet article that focused on changes brought by the new Zoning Ordinance, especially the prohibition of portable marque signs.
Alderman Richard Corzine requested Monday that the portable marque sign subject be “revisited” during an Ordinance Committee meeting that is scheduled for next Wednesday, April 23 at 1 p.m. The meeting is open to the public.
City attorney Rick Abell noted that Zoning Ordinance can not be amended in its first six months of existence.
“This is something that won’t go away,” said Alderman Bob Midnight, who noted that as Industrial Committee chairman he’d been contacted by several businesses. “We need to discuss it.”
In other business, the council:
• Approved 2014 mosquito spraying and the hiring of Keith Stokes and Greg Bradford sharing the hours of spraying for the same cost of last year’s rate of pay.
• Approved two different motions concerning the light poles on Highway 45.
Mayor Billy McDaniel noted the council has dealt with several the Highway 45 light poles two to three times each. Corzine emphasized their installation was done as the Illinois Department of Transportation instructed and that the constant repairs “are costly to our citizens. I’d like to see us get money back from the state.”
The first motion approved the expenditure of $2500 to FW Electric for repair t one pole. The expenditure was approved in a 7-1 vote with Alderman David Daugherty against.
The second dealt with repairs to four poles at a cost of $16,885.23. The work was approved in a 5-3 vote with Alderman Kim Brown, Corzine and Daugherty against. McDaniel said the payment will be made when the work is complete.
“I think the cost should come out of someone else’s pocket,” Daugherty said before placing his vote.
• Approved the hiring of Metropolis City Pool staff for 2014 as presented.
• Approved retaining HMG Engineers for the 12th Street project.
• Approved the purchase of underground electric cable for $12,239 with $7591 worth for the Carter/Crestview sewer project.
• Approved the purchase of a fire hydrant from HD Supply in the amount of $1685 for the Water Department.
• And, tabled to the Ordinance Committee the revised 2014 official Corporate Limits and Ward Map of the City of Metropolis due to discrepancies on the Ward Map.