Joppa-Maple Grove school board members were informed by Superintendent Bill Biggerstaff at the monthly meeting on April 28 that Joppa Junior and Senior High School was honored with a Spotlight Schools Award by the Illinois State Board of Education, and that Maple Grove Elementary was honored with two awards: Academic Improvement Award and also Spotlight Schools Award.
Joppa Junior and Senior High School is one of 37 Spotlight Schools located in urban, suburban and rural areas earning honors this year.
The 2013 Academic Improvement Award honors 125 schools across the state that have posted substantial gains. These schools demonstrate that exemplary progress is possible at every level and can be sustained.
The Spotlight Award recognizes a high-poverty school where academic performance is closing the achievement gap. Like the high school, Maple Grove Elementary is one of 37 Spotlight Schools located in urban, suburban and rural areas earning honors this year.
“Both Mr. Rogers and I complement and congratulate the instructional staff for their dedication and diligence in providing the type of instruction that enabled the district’s students to achieve at such high levels,” explained Biggerstaff.
During the principal remarks, the board received updates from Interim Principal Bill Rogers concerning the following areas: new course offerings for the 2014-15 school year and the end of the year semester exam schedule.
Following Rogers’ report, the superintendent and board discussed possible options of seeking cooperative agreements with other districts for some of the district’s sports programs. It was decided that the district will contact other school districts to consider the possibility of football and soccer participation.
Biggerstaff provided the board with the official evaluation form for the annual review and evaluation of the superintendent position. There was discussion on the process that will be utilized and set the May 19 board meeting for the finalization of the evaluation.
During the meeting, the board:
• Approved the request from the Alumni Association to utilize school facilities for the annual reunion.
• Approved the request of Vonda Belt to be excused from attending the high school graduation and eighth grade graduation.
• Honorably dismissed all instructional aide positions effective at the end of the 2013-2014 school year.
• And, accepted the retirement notice of teacher Sharon Goines.
Prior to adjourning, the board also:
• Rejected the only bid received and directed the superintendent to re-bid the pupil transportation contract for a two-year period.
• Approved the bid from ICI Mechanical to upgrade the air conditioning units at Maple Grove Elementary.
• Approved the bid from EnduraCrete to replace the Maple Grove Elementary kitchen flooring.
• Approved the regular board meeting dates, time and place for future Board meetings beginning May 2014 through April 2015, with the May board meeting being moved to May 19 due to the Memorial Day holiday.
• And, approved the request of Sharon Goines to be included in the Certified Retirement Incentive Program beginning the 2014-15 school year and ending after the 2017-18 school year.