In the beginning: Metropolis Elementary School
Jun 18, 2014 | 826 views | 0 0 comments | 8 8 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Dunbar School was built in 1920-21 to replace an earlier frame building on the site at Eighth and Vienna streets. The building was dedicated on Jan. 20, 1921, with the grade school and high school under one roof.  However, in 1951, the school was closed and opened in 1953 as Lincoln School.
— Photo courtesy of Sharon LaGore
Dunbar School was built in 1920-21 to replace an earlier frame building on the site at Eighth and Vienna streets. The building was dedicated on Jan. 20, 1921, with the grade school and high school under one roof. However, in 1951, the school was closed and opened in 1953 as Lincoln School. — Photo courtesy of Sharon LaGore
slideshow
Editor’s Note: This is the third of a six-week series highlighting county and city schools before the school consolidations in the 1950s. Next week, we will feature Brookport Elementary School.

— — — — —

Even before the City of Metropolis was incorporated, residents moving to the area knew the importance of having a school for their children. And this belief is even stronger today.

Metropolis Elementary School, located at 1015 Filmore St., and Metropolis Primary School, located at 415 E. Ninth St., provides classes for students from Head Start to sixth grade.

The Metropolis Elementary School is situated on the property that was formerly the Metropolis Community High School. The last graduating class of Metropolis Community High School was 1981, when Massac County High School opened its doors the summer of 1981. From 1982 through 2002, the old high school building was used as Metropolis Junior High School and a site for the Shawnee Community College Metro Center. In 2002, Massac Junior High School was open for students in the city and from Brookport. Students from Jefferson, Franklin and Unity had the option of attending. In 2003, the high school building was razed due to the construction of the elementary school.

Metropolis Primary School was formerly Metropolis Junior High School. Its doors were opened the summer of 1951 and housed both seventh and eighth grade students.

Looking back, Massac County Unit One School District was formed 38 yeas ago in 1976, and, at that time, Metropolis City Schools included Central, Clark, Junior High and Washington.

The new Clark School was located at 619 E. Fifth St. but was closed in 2003, along with Central School, which was located at 103 W. 11th St., and replaced by Metropolis Elementary and Primary schools.

••• TO READ THE ENTIRE STORY ONLINE, PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO THE PLANET'S e-EDITION •••
Weather
Find more about Weather in Metropolis, IL
Sponsored By:
Beaus Blog Logo
Read Beau's Daily Analysis
METROPOLIS PLANET GOOGLE ANALYTICS CODE - SINGLE DOMAIN