Massac County Historical Society Annual Tour of Homes and Open House will be Sunday, Dec. 8, from 1 to 4 p.m. This year's tour is full of history, as each building is over a century old. All the stops on the tour are close together, allowing ample time to visit each one, and perhaps also stop at Fort Massac State Park for its Old Tyme Christmas celebration. Featured are the homes of John Davies and Ford Loverin, 408 Market St. and 308 Park St.; and Kelly and Jeff Wisniewski, 904 Ferry St. Also on the tour is Park Street church of Christ, at the corner of Fourth and Park streets. Park Street is the one-block long street on the east side of Washington Park.
Refreshments will be served at the Curtis Home, 405 Market St., which will be decorated for the season by the Metropolis Garden Club. Tickets are $7, and will be available at any home, so tour-goers may start and end their tour at any point. Balloons will mark each stop on the tour.
904 Ferry St.
It is estimated the classic two-story house was built around 1910. It was purchased by Jeff and Kelly Lewis Wisniewski of Ingleside in 2015 from Ann Schneider and Merle Pansing, who grew up there.
The Pansing family owned the house from 1930-2015. The Wisniewskis purchased the home to be close to family in Metropolis. The home has three bedrooms and one and one-half baths, and features pocket doors, hardwood floors and a built-in ironing board, all of which give the house lots of character. Don't forget to look at the pictures in the upstairs hallway that show how the house has changed over the years.
Park Street church of Christ
320 Park St.
The historic building at the corner of Fourth and Park streets has been a church for many years, but it wasn't always so. An 1897 fire insurance map shows it was the location of E.J. Bergdall's Bottling Works, which bottled soft drinks but was no longer in operation at that date. In 1902, the building is listed as being used for furniture storage. However, it became a church no later than 1910, when it housed St. Alban's Episcopal Church.
It remained an Episcopal church until the church of Christ in Metropolis began meeting there in 1938. When a new church was built on U.S. 45 North in 1968, the Park Street building was sold and served a succession of different congregations.
In 1997 several former members of the Park Street congregation purchased the building from a Mr. Jacobs, and they continue to assemble there, being known as the Park Streetchurch of Christ.
The congregation welcomes tourgoers to see this historic church.
405 Market St.
The Elijah P. Curtis Home was erected in 1870 for Major Curtis and his young bride, Isabelle Hellen Gebhardt Curtis. It is a classic Revival-style, two-story brick with distinctive interior woodwork. The interior has been completely redecorated and major restoration, inside and out, has brought the home to near original appearance. In 1978 the Curtis Home was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Creations the Florist has graciously donated a Christmas topiary for a door prize. One adult tourgoer from each family is invited to register for the topiary when visiting the Curtis Home. The winner will be drawn at the close of the tour.
The home has been decorated for the season by the Metropolis Garden Club. Refreshments are served in the dining room.